Here is a list of benefits of wood chips from Growing Food God’s Way by David Devine.
- insulate soil from extreme cold;
- cool land surfaces in extreme heat;
- retain sub-surfaces in extreme heat;
- release, or redistribute excess moisture;
- are resilient to prevent compaction; (even under extreme weight);
- can neutralize soil pH;
- add minerals and essential elements to the soil;
- at times, provide spores that enables quicker decomposition of beneficial plant material;
- protect the soil from airborne weed seeds and makes weed removal easier;
- allow for cleaner harvests of produce, with little or no dirty residue;
- filter out harmful liquid soil inputs: and
- act, in conjunction with rain, to make natural compost tea that,
- stimulates increased earthworm, nematode, and micro-biologic activity in soils.